As a young university located in Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, one of China’s most innovative zones, ShanghaiTech offers vibrant study and research environment for students all over the world. Every summer, ShanghaiTech provides a unique research opportunity for a small number of undergraduates from partner institutions, organized and coordinated by the Office of International Affairs. In 2023, the Summer Lab Program will be relaunched after three years of suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is a non-credit program for international students who seek to perform summer research in a different cultural setting under the guidance of our professors (most of them earned their Ph.D. abroad). You can choose a lab of research interest in almost all our schools and institutes, with the chance to do experiments on world-class research facilities and national science platforms which are not easily accessible for students outside ShanghaiTech. To enrich students’ experience, the Office of International Affairs may also organize free cultural tours in the city or the nearby water town.
Here is the information about the 2023 Summer Lab Program.
Six weeks: July 10 to August 20, 2023
How to Apply
Please fill in the International Visiting Student Application Form and the following documents, and submit them to the coordinator at your home university:
2. Statement of Purpose (Please specify your research orientation and detailed plan)
The coordinator will then send the application materials to ShanghaiTech.
- You may be approached for a virtual interview if a ShanghaiTech professor deems it necessary.
- If admitted, you will receive an acceptance letter via email. Your coordinator will also be informed.
- You will have about one week to accept the offer. An official invitation letter for visa application will be sent once you confirm your acceptance.
- Application deadline: April 30, 2023
Students wishing to participate in the Summer Lab Program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current undergraduate student enrolled at a ShanghaiTech partner university
- Have completed at least one academic year at their home university
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Good English communication skill (no Chinese language skill required)
All participating students are required to apply for a student visa from the Chinese consulate in their home country. Students who study in China for less than 180 days will usually be given a single-entry X2 visa.
According to the regulations issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students are required to purchase mandatory Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China before entering the university. The Office of International Affairs will inform students of the detailed information.
Tuition and registration fees are WAIVED for students from partner universities.
- Participants will live in on-campus dormitories. Housing is allocated on a random basis. In most instances, visiting students will share a room with one or two other students.
- All our dormitory buildings are air-conditioned. There is a small shower room inside each dorm, and shared restrooms are in the corridor of each floor. In each building, there are common rooms on the first floor, a public laundry, microwave ovens and refrigerators. Mattress or bedding is NOT provided. You can buy them in the Auchan Supermarket near the campus.
- The accommodation fee for a six week session is 1,000 CNY.
Three university dinning halls serve 3 meals a day, with options for Chinese and western food. Meals can be purchased using rechargeable campus card.
Cancellation and Refund
If you wish to withdraw from the 2023 ShanghaiTech Summer Lab Program, please inform the coordinator at your home university and the contact person of ShanghaiTech Office of International Affairs before June.
Cultural Tour / Company Visit
The Office of International Affairs may organize free cultural tours or company visits in the city or nearby. All program participants are welcome to join.
Certificate of Completion
Participating students who successfully complete summer research will be given a certificate of completion from ShanghaiTech University.
Contact Person: QIAN Lele, Office of International Affairs, email@example.com
Opening positions for the Summer Lab Program can be found HERE